Rob Doyle - Professional Fun Haver

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, January 6, 2009

    It's not over...

    Today saw the end of the Jayco Bay Classic after five days of bad luck and a bit of fun. The final leg of this criterium series was a twilight race on the eastern beach foreshore. Although my race was cut short (thank god not due to my bike) it was really good to see everyone who came down, whether it was from Melbourne or Ballarat, thanks heaps.

    Unfortunately today being our last day it involved hotel checkout, which are entertaining. Personally I was a bit confused by the 11:00am check out for a 7:15pm race, but luckily I found something to keep me out of trouble. Yes, it was sleeping under the BBB team tent on a Minoura Ergo Mat on the side of the course by the beach.

    Between all this busy sleeping and eating it did give me a chance to have a good look at the course, which wasn’t too hard because I could see all of it while laying on the Ergo mat. When motivation was found and a more serious approach set in I realised why this was the most hated course of the series. A 600 metre hot dog circuit with pot holes, bumps, slippery metal grates in the corners and nice little bottlenecks. I was in heaven, maybe a sucker for punishment is a better description.

    Being there so early gave me the chance to fully watch the Support race for the first time, and soak up the atmosphere before hitting the windtrainer. Once again both the support and the Elite Women’s race where full of crashes and that dodgy red flag that continually gets in my way. Maybe I should start taking a page out of Beth Cannys book with her inadvertent running of the red flag on Sundays Geelong short course. Something tells me I wouldn’t get away with it.
    As always we had our race plan, attack and attack often, Lachie and I had also been sold to Virgin Blue to work as domestics for Bernie Sulzberger. I was also given the go for another short day if it all goes bad with national TT so close. Unfortunately the team draw for the start couldn’t of gone much worse for us, 2nd last on a hotdog circuit. Finding myself on the back row from the start the immediate thought was move up which I did with some hard cornering, getting up to about 25-30 places from the front out of 80. It was looking good to move up and start the offensive when the guy ahead of me decided he preferred the barrier on corner one, I was unaffected by the crash, mainly because I was trying to shoot underneath him, so really he was in my way anyway. Unfortunately the 40 or so riders behind me were caught up in it and took a free lap. I don’t think I’ve ever gone from 25th wheel to 80th wheel so quickly before, and as soon as Vaughn saw what had happened he pulled me in, live to race another day, thursday and sunday to be more precise. Lach once again stole the show, with a 3 man break surviving 15 minutes and also collecting sprint points, an epic performance with the heat and the course.
    As for me a quiet roll around Geelong was in order then a catch up with some of the people who had come down to watch. Not to mention a drive back to Ballarat, made even more interesting by the mysterious disappearance of my radiator cap. Luckily an old Caulfield grammar t-shirt was in the boot, and soon became the caps temporary replacement.

    I’d like to say it’s over, but really I’m only halfway and as I write this I’m in my room with Time Trial stuff everywhere (not to mention just everything everywhere). Hopefully tomorrow will give the knee injury I’ve been carrying for the past few weeks a chance to recover a little, as much as I like playing with the mass of fluid sitting next to my patella.

    Once again a big thanks to BBB, You and I ride, PB nutrition, Selle San Marco, Bikesportz, Hayden Nosatti, Vaughn McVily and all the BBB team for the weeks racing. Also a like to give a big mention for my 2009 sponsors YouandIride.com, Lazer, BBB, Bianchi, Reynolds and Barloworld Motor Australia, really looking forward to the next year of racing. I’ve put their links on the left so please check them out and there’s a photo of the first sets of race kit I received today below, exciting times. Think I’m halfway, thanks to Ballarat Sebas Cycling Club for their support in 2008 and their continual support in 2009, Alpine Cycling Club for everything they’ve done over the last few years, Everyone who came to watch me race whether over the last week or the last few years, and the last few, Cam McKenzie, Ryan Worne and all my friends and family. Not to forget Mum, who knows why she kept letting me go riding.

    Tomorrow will see a recovery ride over the TT course, some cheering, and some chasing in time trial tail cars. I’ll let you know how Thursday goes.
    It’s not over until it’s over......

    DT

    In case you’re wondering Doyle Time comes from when I wore a clock around my neck at the University Games Closing Party, It wasn’t dress up, I just needed to be different.......

    Sweet sweet kit...

    No comments: