Rob Doyle - Professional Fun Haver

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, January 11, 2009

    Pop goes the weasel

    Its fair to say saturday night I was feeling a bit run down, so it was time to go to the pub......

    Now I know that sounds bad but it was for dinner and a catch up with everyone who raced that day. Lets face it I'm only going to do 6 laps on sunday, if i'm lucky. So why not be relaxed and calm, and spent the night with friends watching them drink each other under the tables.

    It wouldn't be the same if the clock wasnt there....


    Sunday morning I woke up better than I have in a long time, thinking well I suppose I better go for a trundle. That attitude pretty much summed up my road race, cool, calm, collected, waving to people I knew and blowing kisses. The original plan was for me to work for somebody but unfortunately due to some bad luck, which is two words heavily associated with nationals by everyone at some point, he was out and I was alone. That said I found the first 110km relatively easy, i was never in two much trouble, sitting 5th-7th wheel the whole time to avoid the mess in the feed zone and on the descent. I got off the front solo a couple of times and it was a little eerie, I got out of sight from the peloton but wasn't insight of the break, it really was no mans land, me and a token motorbike. Even though I knew the course, it almost felt like we were lost or going the wrong way.

    My solo attack up the hill, for a quick camera snap


    Then lap 11 came and something happened, I missed a drink bottle in the feed zone and had to dodge another not to mention all the people, it was like it was the Myer stocktake sale. with all the kaos I found myself in the second bunch of a split, instead of trying to bridge straight away I decided to pace it up slowly to not kill myself, unfortunately I was still feeling alright and at the top of the KOM there was only a handfull of us left, I put the hammer down on the flat and was soon chasing solo, not to mention a bit of mountain biking with an over cooked corner at 60kph on to yankee flat. eventually I got back on, but it would be fair to say that fresh wouldnt be an appropriate term to describe my condition when I regained contact.

    Lap 12 saw the Weasel explode, and saw me riding of the back of the peloton desperately trying to get back in or get that far behind so they could just pull me out. This went on for another 2 laps until a caught to other guys and we started oozing time together in large quantities. And just at the end we were pulled and it was game over. So close to the end was disapointing, but secretly at the time I was relieved that I could stop.

    Now finally I get some time off racing as Oceania Championships draw closer, hopefully the last few weeks of racing will of done some good.

    Thanks to everyone who came out an cheered me and everyone else on, thanks to all the idiots who ran next to me up the hill when i was alone and thinking about pulling the pin.

    The Best sign of the week, go bethany. Better than my we love you to Rod Doyle.

    Thanks


    DT

    No comments: